2009/11/29

benefits of the grid

I'm in Houston, Texas, Y'all.

Staying with Mom for a week to celebrate the holidays. (I prefer to schedule my family time between Thanksgiving and Christmas, thus avoiding the insanity, the christmas tree decorations, the carols, the presents, the blatant consumerism in the name of jesus...) Being here, back on the grid is humbling. Every faucet and toilet opens up and dumps gallons and gallons of water by the second. It's so easy. (It's too easy.) My laptop stays plugged in, charging, all day. Mom's electric fridge has an ice maker, a water tap, and room for entire carcii. (is the plural of carcass, carcii?? it should be..) It stays fully stocked with tupperwares fulla leftovers, coca cola, yogurt .. it's awesome! Washer/Dryer, ceiling fans, central air, central heat, automatic garage door... The list goes on and on and on.

Staying here, I totally understand why such a high frequency of the world lives like this. It's so easy, yet so unbelievably spoiling. I think most people don't even realize how dependent they are on the goods and services provided by folks like city power, city water, gas companys, etc. I lived most of my life without giving it so much as a single thought. When i flew into Houston it took maybe 1 hour of mom's house until I was once again sucking on the teet without a fleeting thought. The grid is a wonderful (miraculous even) thing.

Where Shindagger sits, half of what Mom has isn't even a possibility. .. and I don't know why I chose to thrust off the few services that are available, but even being here in the womb of society I feel good about it. The city of El Paso could just go away, and Shindagger wouldn't change. I love that.

Sorry about all the parenthetical B.S.. I couldn't help myself.

1 comment:

  1. its like a fat person in a doughnout shop; when i walk by and see them through the window, i am slightly disgusted. but the doughnuts look good......

    ReplyDelete

hi, how are you?